Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Makes enough for 1 pound of spaghetti or linguine. Good Housekeeping.Best Recipes.
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, each cut lengthwise in half
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- grated romano cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F In 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch jelly-roll pan, toss tomato halves and unpeeled garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side down, in jelly-roll pan.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic 50 to 60 minutes, until tomatoes are well browned and garlic cloves are soft.
- Let tomatoes and garlic cool in pan 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Over medium bowl, carefully peel tomatoes.
- Place tomato pulp in bowl with any juice from jelly-roll pan.
- Squeeze garlic from skins into same bowl.
- Discard skins from tomatoes and garlic.
- With spoon, crush tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Serve sauce at room temperature or transfer to saucepan; heat over medium low heat until hot.
- Serve with grated Romano cheese if you like.