1/1 Photo of Roasted Tomato Salsa
From Cook's Illustrated, yet another salsa recipe but rather than a quickly thrown together standard tomato/jalapeno/cilantro mix, this one uses oven roasted Roma tomatoes and jalapenos to deepen the flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 jalapeno chiles, halved, seeded and ribbed
- 1 1/2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, about 8 medium, cored and halved
- 1/2 onion, cut in 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- sugar, to taste (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup.
- 3Mince 1 of the jalapenos and set it aside.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the remaining jalapenos, tomatoes halves, onion, garlic, tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons oil, cumin and cayenne. Toss gently to thoroughly mix. Place on the baking sheet, cut sides down where applicable, and roast until the tomatoes are tender and skins begin to shrivel and brown, 35-45 minutes.
- 5Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- 6With tongs, transfer roasted onions, garlic and jalapenos to food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about10 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add tomatoes and process until they're chunky - 5-10 seconds more.
- 7Pour into serving dish and stir in reserved minced jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Add salt to taste.
- 8NB - If your tomatoes are very acidic, add sugar, a little at a time, to mellow the flavor to suit your taste.
- 9Serve with your favorite chips, over eggs, to make nachos, just with a spoon -- ;-).
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.6
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 311.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g