Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This was originally a Kikkoman Soy Sauce recipe advertised in a magazine. We really like it. It's great with lemon rice and roasted vegetables.
- 1814.36 g whole chickens
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml dried rosemary or 9.85 ml fresh rosemary, crumbled
- 2 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken.
- Rinse chicken under cold running water; drain well and pat dry.
- Place chicken breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Blend soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, rosemary and garlic.
- Brush chicken cavity and skin thoroughly with mixture, then place lemon halves in cavity.
- Roast at 350 for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 185, brushing with soy/lemon mixture every 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and let stand 10 minutes before carving.
WOW! This bird will fly!! The chicken was moist and juicy, and the seasoning was uniquely exceptional. The chicken was absolutely lovely, a nice brown skin. I absolutely recommend this chicken dish to all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
DELICIOUS!!!! I changed this recipe a little (maybe a lot) but I know how good this would be preparing it the way it is written because I've used lemons and rosemary in this way before in roasting a chicken. I just didn't have the ingredients on hand. My changes were: I put a whole lime that had been pierced with a knife inside the cavity instead of 1/2 a lemon. I also used fresh lime juice in the marinade. I didn't have rosemary so I used fresh thyme and finely snipped chives. I took small pats of butter and rubbed it under the skin of the breast and added some of the herbs. After letting the chicken rest and when I finally cut into it, it was so moist and juicy I had juice all over the cutting board, counter top and floor. It's a keeper recipe...thanks for posting it!!
Last night I made this chicken recipe for my family. I actually cooked it using an upright chicken cooker. It is a round ceramic pan with a well in the middle that you sit the chicken on like a beer can chicken recipe. I coated the chicken in the sauce and then poured the rest in the well. The results were delicious, although a little dry since I think I cooked it a little too long. We used the cooked sauce to pour over the chicken and the rice I made as a side dish. Also, I doubled the recipe and used the sauce to coat chicken pieces that I cooked in a separate oven for about 50 minutes at 350. Everyone loved the chicken pieces even more than the roasted chicken! They were juicy and tender with a fabulous, sticky coating from the sauce. Next time I will probably just use the sauce to make chicken pieces. It was so easy and the results were incredible! Thank you for sharing. :)