Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious, fresh-tasting, and easy soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add stock, red peppers, tomatoes, sugar and basil. Crush tomatoes roughly with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and peppers with a slotted spoon and transfer to food processor. Blend until smooth , then return to the liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve each bowl with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.