I adopted this recipe in September 2006, selecting it because I love healthy side dishes that add flavor to the plate. the original chef commented that the recipe is from Robert Del Grande.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the onions with olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic, red chile flakes, fennel seeds, oregano and salt.
- Mix well to coat the onions.
- Transfer the mixture to a roasting pan just large enough to hold the onions in a single layer.
- Roast at 375F for 1 hour or until the onions are nicely caramelized.
We loved this recipe. Super easy and the red onions have a nice kick to them. I chose to add the red pepper flakes, the fennel seeds and the dried oregano - I believe these spices make the recipe such a success.
These have a wonderful inviting aroma while cooking and the taste does not disappoint. I had considered leaving off the fennel and decided against it and am glad I did. The fennel does add that extra something. The blending of seasonings is wonderful. These would be a great companion to almost any meal.
The fennel flavor is certainly 'assertive' as noted by Geema. I served them on top of a hamburger and it was good. For me, next time I'll add more garlic and skip the fennel.