Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is not yo' mamma's sausage and peppers! This is a non-tomato based dish...very light tasting and an absolute favorite at my house. The smell of the roasting peppers, sausage and garlic gets the neighbors knocking on the door asking what's for dinner!!!
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 -2 head garlic
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 -3 large bell peppers, sliced (any color)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Place sausage, whole head(s) of garlic, onion and peppers in 13x9 pan. Pierce meat all over. Drizzle with olive oil if desired.
- Bake at 425º until vegies are limp and edges dark brown, about 1 hours, stirring often.
- Thinly slice sausage; keep warm.
- Cut garlic in half crosswise; squeeze pulp into bowl. Add vinegar, mustard and oregano; stir well.
- Cook pasta. Drain.
- Add sausage and garlic mixture. Toss to coat.
- Add parmesan and toss.
- Serve hot, or at room temperature.
This was excellent! I added asparagus to the roasting veggies and lowered oven temp to 375. Also, I was using pre-cooked chicken sausages, so I added them in at the end, tossed the pasta and the vinaigrette in with all the veggies, sprinkled the parmesan on top, and baked everything for an additional 10-15 minutes. So delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Very good recipe! I scaled it down to use 1/2lbs sausage for two people and had tons left over. I usd only about a tsp on olive and used a bit more garlic since I love roasted garlic. The roasted veggies were an awesome match with the pasta. I served this warm for dinner last night, and had some cold this afternoon for lunch. A def. make again.
It was very good, I had to add a little Olive Oil when I roasted veggies with sausage. I reduced ammout of mustard, 4 tbs sounded too much for my taste