Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 medium yellow onions, unpeeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet on the stove top. Crumble the strips and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F with a rack in the lowest position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat the foil with the olive oil. Cut the onions crosswise (through their centers, not lengthwise through the root). Using a small paring knife, cut two small X's near the end of each onion half (this helps keep the onion rings level while they cook). Place the onions cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until dark brown around bottom edge and tender when pierced with the tip of your paring knife, about 30 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and allow the onions to rest for 5 minutes before lifting them off of the pan. Once the onions have cooled, peel and finely chop them.
- Add all of the ingredients (including the onions and bacon) to a medium bowl and mix well to combine You can serve immediately though I recommend covering and chilling in the fridge overnight.