Recipe by Miraklegirl
Ripped off a Martha Stewart bulletin board. This is a VERY elegant soup that is so tasty and not difficult to prepare.
Top Review by Sunnybrook
Very nice garlic flavor. I didn't have a lemon so I used concentrate and I don't think I added enough. I also used a blend of Italian cheeses. I think I'll make it again and use gruyere cheese. I also used half and half instead of whipping cream. I may try again with whipping cream, but the half and half was just fine.
- 26 cloves roasted garlic (2-3 heads)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sliced onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 18 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 lemon wedges
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.