Italian Roasted Garlic Soup
For garlic lovers! Adapted from 'The Big Book of Soups & Stews' by Maryana Vollstedt
- Ready In:
- 4 whole heads of garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1/2 cups broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or (15 ounce) can white beans, drained, rinsed and drained again
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (I used fat free 1/2 & 1/2) or 1/2 cup milk (I used fat free 1/2 & 1/2)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- chopped fresh parsley, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Rub off some of the papery outer skins of the garlic heads but do not peel them or separate the cloves, leave the heads intact.
- Slice 1/4" off the top of each garlic head.
- Place the heads, cut side up, in a lightly sprayed or oiled baking dish.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoons oil over each head.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly then press the whole head with your hand all at once to release the garlic pulp.
- Place the pulp in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the remaining oil.
- Add onion and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved garlic pulp, stock, beans, basil salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- In a food processor or blender (or better yet, an immersion blender, which is what I used), puree soup in batches.
- Return to pot and stir in half-and-half.
- Simmer until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION