Mexican Roasted Garlic Soup
- Ready In:
- In a small pot, heat olive oil over medium-low and add garlic. When the oil begins lightly simmering (like champagne), lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes. Do not fry the garlic. By the end of cooking it should be soft and still white, not browned and crispy.
- Pour the oil and garlic through a mesh strainer, over a bowl. Lightly press the garlic with the back of a spoon to remove some of the excess oil.
- Transfer the garlic into a large saucepan and add the chicken broth. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Set the garlic oil aside - this is good stuff! 3 tbsp of it will be used for the croutons, the rest can be refrigerated and used for dipping french bread, salad dressings, pasta sauces, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut the bread into 1/4 to 1/2 inch dices. Lay the diced bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of the garlic olive oil over the croutons, toss them to spread the oil evenly, and toast for 5 minutes more, until golden brown.
- When the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, turn the heat to low, and slowly pour in the beaten eggs, while stirring the soup.
- Divide the queso fresco, avocado, and tomato between 4 bowls. Ladle the soup on top.
- Let your guests add chipotle strips and croutons to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!