1/3 Photos of Roasted Garlic, Potato, Leek and Fennel Soup
1 hr 30 mins
A hearty pureed soup with lots of flavor. Good with hot rolls or French bread. Try to find a fennel bulb with some fronds (leaves) still attached. Trim these off and save some for garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or use vegetable broth)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- fennel leaves, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 325F while peeling garlic cloves.
- 2Place garlic cloves in small baking pan; add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir to coat well. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden.
- 3In large heavy saucepan heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel; saute until mixture begins to brown slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add broth, potatoes, roasted garlic, thyme and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 5Remove bay leaves and discard.
- 6Puree soup, in batches, in food processor or blender. Return to sauce pan and heat through.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Divide among 4 bowls and top each with a tablespoon of yogurt.
- 9Garnish with a bit of chopped fennel leaves, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Garlic, Potato, Leek and Fennel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.0
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 12.8 g