Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 (6 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 lemons, divided
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (such as sauvignon blanc)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- thyme, springs (optional)
- lemon slice (optional)
- 2 roasted lemons, quartered (to roast, add lemons to the roasting rack during the last 20 minutes of the cooking time) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Combine the paprika, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub under loosened skin. Thinly slice 1 lemon; arrange slices under loosened skin. Cut remaining lemon into quarters. Place lemon quarters inside chicken cavity. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon thyme to chicken cavity.
- Place chicken on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Brush oil over skin. Cover chicken with aluminum foil. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 35-45 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 160°. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Place a zip-top plastic bag in a 2-cup measure. Pour drippings into bag. Drain drippings into measuring cup, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Place pan on stove top over medium heat. Sprinkle flour into pan. Add wine; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add drippings, broth, juice, sugar, remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Remove skin and lemon slices from chicken, and remove lemon wedges from cavity; discard. Carve chicken and arrange on a serving platter. Serve with gravy. Garnish with additional lemon slices and thyme sprigs, if desired.