Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This delicious homemade vegetarian lasagna will provide you with a unique gourmet meal.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 (9 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel and dice the butternut squash. Toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Place pieces on a cookie sheet covered in tinfoil with non-stick spray and roast at 400F for 40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- About 10 minutes before the squash is done, melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the thyme and oregano.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped roasted butternut squash and about 1/4 of the beans with their liquid. Mash this mixture together and then add the rest of the beans to the Dutch oven.
- Pour in the white wine, and add a bit of water if you think it needs to be thinner. Reduce heat to low, and simmer while you make the béchamel.
- In another pot, melt the butter for the béchamel. Over medium heat, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir regularly until the mixture turns golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Heat the milk in a separate pan until it is just about to boil. Whisk the milk into the butter mixture until the sauce is smooth.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 seconds longer. Remove from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with melted butter.
- Layer the ingredients in this order: béchamel, pasta, butternut squash filling, and cheese. You should make 3 to 4 layers of pasta, finishing with béchamel and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella and ricotta sprinkled over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 20 minutes, slice, and serve.