Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Roasting brings the best out of many vegetables, and Brussels sprouts are no exception. The browned butter and hazelnuts are wonderful with the roasted sprouts in this recipe, adapted from Eating Well (October/November 2006).
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Put butter on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until the butter is melted, browned and fragrant (4-5 minutes).
- Remove baking sheet from oven and toss Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts with the browned butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Return to oven and roast for 7 minutes; sprinkle with water, toss, and continue roasting until the sprouts are tender and lightly browned (another 7-9 minutes).
- Note: I used quite a bit more butter and added extra hazelnuts.
Dh is allergic to hazelnuts so we had this with walnuts. Really easy, really delicious.
I love Brussels sprouts and I love hazelnuts, so was pleased to find a recipe with both. The browned butter is just a perfect addition to these. As you noted, more butter is a good addition. I used about a tablespoon and a half, but think 2 tablespoons would have been better. Thanks for sharing Gayla.
Another big hit at the Thanksgiving table! I made this exactly as called for and people loved it. Next time I might cook it a little longer, and definitely use a bit more butter. Mine did not quite get brown in the time the recipe called for, but I didn't want to risk burning it before the sprouts and nuts went in. Perhaps some fresh parm over top next time?