Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
What makes this recipe stellar is three things: 1) the low amount of oil compared to other recipes, 2) preheating the baking sheet, and 3) adding the vinegar and honey after the beets and carrots have been heated. It makes for a simple and yummy recipe.
- Peel beets and carrots. Chop beets into 1/2 slices, then quarter each slice. Slice carrots into 1/2 slice diagonally. While slicing, place baking sheet in oven and heat to 500°F.
- Place beets and carrots into large bowl. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Working quickly, remove pan from preheated oven, add vegetables to pan and return to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Do not wash bowl. While vegetables are cooking, add remaining tablespoon of oil, vinegar, and honey to bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- When vegetables are done, remove from oven and carefully transfer to bowl. Stir until well combine. Let rest and cool for 30 minutes.
- If using, wash and chop beet greens while beets and carrots are cooling. Add chopped greens and stir immediately before serving.
Since I've been getting fresh beets in my CSA box I've been trying various beet recipes, including several for roasting them. This is the best by far. I used Balsamic vinegar. Next time I make it - and I'll definitely make it again - I'll try to remember to take a photo. Thanks for posting it.
Excellent. No optionals. I used local raw honey plus the rest of the ingredients all organic. I'd make this again!