Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great mix of crisp and tender, and sweet and spicy. Cook time includes both grill time as well as the 1 hour refrigeration time needed.
- 8 medium beets, rinse and scrub
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat gas grill on high heat. Turn one burner off, then reduce the other burner(s) to medium.
- Individually wrap each beet in foil. Place beets over the off area and cover. Cook, turning the beets occasionally, until just tender, 45-60 minutes. Cool completely. Peel and slice beets into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar, tarragon, brown sugar, salt and pepper until combined. Gradually whisk in oil until dressing thickens. Add beets and onions and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least one hour. Serve chilled.