Banana Custard Slice
- Ready In:
- 4 bananas
- 1 liter milk
- 6 eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 -3 drops vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot (you could use cornflour or cornstarch)
- 2 sheets puff pastry (ours measure 23cm square)
- icing sugar (to decorate)
- Into a large saucepan put milk, sugar, eggs and bananas and then blend with a stick blender (if you don't have a stick blender then use a blender or food processor and then transfer to saucepan) heat over a very gentle heat stirring frequently until the custard thickens (should coat back of wooden spoon with a thick mix and when stirring leave a trail), add arrowroot to help thicken even more.
- Spread the custard out on a tray (with sides) to let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut pastry sheets in half and place pastry sheets on baking paper lined trays.
- Prick pastry sheets all over with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Give cooled custard a stir to (don't worry about it having formed a skin), put down a layer of pastry and top with 1/3 of the custard but don't take it right to the edge, put on another 1/3 layer of custard and then another pastry sheet and then the final layer of custard and the final 4th sheet of pastry.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove and slice into desired portions (3 to 4).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made mine into a loaf as stated in the recipe, nice presentation with fresh mixed berries Loved the banana custard though the color was a bit off, possibly due to the 2% milk I used. Left overnight the pudding separated just enough to make the bottom layer slightly soggy, again probably due to the thinner milk. I will make this again using whole milk as everyone enjoyed it. Thanks Pat. Made for RS#44.
This is a lovely banana custard. We enjoyed this very much. I didn't have the time to make it exactly as written - I used pre-baked phylo shells, still a beautiful presentation. Thank you Pat! I will make this again. Made for Every Day is a Holiday! eta - If you have a double boiler, use it! This custard comes together VERY Quickly, and if you aren't watching closely you will end up with banana flavored scrambeled eggs! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.