Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
I received this recipe froma vegetarian newsletter. It is a different and easy to make snack. The almonds are also great on salads and in stir fries.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place almonds in a single layer on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the almonds from the oven and place them in a container with a lid.
- (see note below) Add the tamari, cover and shake until the tamari is mixed in and absorbed.
- Return the almonds to the cookie sheet and return to the oven to bake for about 5 minutes, just until no longer wet looking.
- Be careful not to overcook as the tamari will burn.
- NOTE-Be careful if using a plastic lid and bowl, such as a Rubbermaid type.
- If you seal the bowl and start to shake the hot nuts, the pressure build up will blow the lid off and scare you half to death, or at least it did me.
- I use a regular plastic container but cover it with a larger plate, instead of it's lid, so that there is some way for the steam/pressure to escape.
Very nice! Thank you for posting this. It's very easy and I appreciate that. I added just a touch of sesame oil to the tamari to compliment a bok choy salad these were to go into. Very good and very easy.
I used whole raw almonds and it worked fine. Didn't have Tamari so used Soy Sauce and that was also great.
UGH...20min? I only put these on for 10 min in a 350 degree preheated oven, trying to anticipate for possibly needing to stir the almonds halfway through cooking to prevent burning or maybe just in case 20min was too much. 10min was too much! They burnt! By the time i smelled something was wrong it was tooo late to salvage them. How exactly do you toast slivered almonds for 20min without totally burning them? I trusted this recipe because I'm a very novice cook, and they totally ended up ruining my almonds for my salad. I don't mean to blame you by giving you such a low rating, but I figured you might know better than me how to do this. Sigh... I'm not even able to get to the store to buy more. I'm part of the honest-reviews petition, so that was my honest review, disappointed and confused why the time/temp burnt my almonds.