Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe in the Thanksgiving issue of Easy Home Cooking. Sounds delicious and I need a safe place to keep it.
- 14 lbs whole turkey, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey; discard or reserve for another use.
- Place on a rack in a large roasting pan, breast side up.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rub the turkey evenly with oil and sprinkle evenly with chili powder mixture.
- Roast for 3 hours or until the breast reaches 170ºF and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Toast pecans in the dry skillet; set aside on a plate.
- Coat the skillet with non stick spray and add the sausage, celery, onion and bell pepper.
- Cook until the sausage is no longer pink, about 4 min, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients; stir gently, yet thoroughly to blend.
- Coat a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray, add the sausage mixture, cover tightly and bake during last 40 min of roasting the turkey.
- Cover the turkey with foil and let stand for 15 min before carving.
- Serve stuffing on the side.
I made only the stuffing for Christmas this year and my whole family loved it!! I did not use the pecans and I used 4 cups of chicken stock because it seemed as though it was going to be a little dry seeing as though I was not actually stuffing anything with it. Delish!!!!