Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my finest, most elegant, Sunday Dinner roast. Cook a little longer for medium.
- 1 (2 lb) filet of beef, trimmed of fat and tied
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper; rub all over with the oil.
- Place in small, shallow roasting pan.
- Put pan on bottom rack of oven; bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.
- Turn once or twice.
- Remove from pan; cover loosely with foil.
- Spoon fat from pan.
- Put pan on stove top; add mushrooms, (a little salt and pepper is nice here) cook until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add shallots, cook and stir briefly.
- Add wine; cook and scrape the pan to loosen browned bits.
- Reduce by half; add broth, tomato paste, and juices that have accumulated around roast.
- Cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Swirl in butter and parsley.
Good roast with rich beefy sauce. I probably would have preferred to thicken the sauce a little to make it more like a gravy than an "au jus" sauce.