Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Entered for safe-keeping for use on a 3-5 lb. eye of round roast, from askthemeatman.com with some adaptation. Do not use other cuts of round; they will be tough and probably dry. MDM was always successful making round roasts; she said the key was choosing the right cut and accepting nothing less. Cooked weight will be about 80% of raw roast weight. Recipe makes 1 1/2 cups of marinade. Official beef serving size is 3 oz., so adjust nutritional data for actual serving size. Preparation time includes 2 hours of marinating. There are 3 sets of directions for roasting: standard 350-degree oven; initial high 375-degree oven & prolonged no heat standing time; and rotisserie method with prolonged no-heat rotation.
MARSALA WINE MARINADE
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup lemon rind, grated (rind from 1 lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- PREPARE MARINADE:.
- Whisk marinade ingredients together.
- PREPARE ROAST:.
- Place roast in 9 X 13 inch non-reactive baking dish. Pour marinade over roast and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, up to 24 hours (turning occasionally).
- STANDARD METHOD - OVEN AT 350-DEGREES:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Place roast in skillet and sear meat, browning well on all sides.
- Place eye of round roast back into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- ALTERNATIVE OVEN METHOD (HIGH HEAT/NO HEAT):.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place roast in oven, uncovered. Roast 1 hour.
- Shut oven off and let it set for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, without opening oven door.
- (If using 1/2 eye roast, roast 3/4 hour and let it set in closed oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.).
- ALTERNATIVE ROTISSERIE METHOD:.
- Place marinated roast in the rack or on the skewer, and cook 1 hour (or 1/2 hour for half eye of round roast). Turn heat off and allow to rotate without heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Roast should come out medium.
This made a good dinner for us. My DS made this and made gravy out of the marinade to go with mashed potatoes. Made for PRMR.
I love marsala so I knew we would like this...I had a small roast so after marinating I cut up some veggies an put around roast, and baked it 400 degrees for an hour....I did add some of the marinade to the veggies and it was fabulous....
I used this as a "basic" recipe and used what I had on hand. I wasn't sure about the lemon rind in the marinade but it was delicious. I made extra marinade and used a different red wine but added smoked sea salt to give it a bit of the Marsala smokiness. I also cooked an assortment of cut up veges under the roast along with the marinade thickened with flour that I had added to the vegetables and browned first before adding the rest of the marinade.