Recipe by monii
The first time I had a date over for dinner, I rang my mother and said, 'Help, I've never cooked anything more extravegant than a fried egg, what can I cook that will make me look like a master chef but won't take the skill of one?' Her response was immediate and the result was amazing. And best of all, it is so BASIC!
- 1 kg beef, suitable for roasting (silverside, topside...)
- 2 tablespoons of chunky plum jam
- 1 dash of l&p Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour (for oven bag)
- 750 g potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon of mashed garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Put 1 tbsp of flour in oven bag and shake it around.
- Place beef- uncut- in oven bag.
- Add Plum jam, Worcestershire sauce and chopped onion.
- Seal oven bag.
- Place in baking dish.
- Cook for 40 minutes.
- Whilst Roast is cooking, peel potatoes.
- Boil until soft.
- Mash with butter, garlic and rosemary until smooth puree.
- Cut meat into slices (should be pink- but not bloody- in the centre).
- Scoop a cup of mash onto the centre of a dinner plate.
- Place meat on top.
- Spoon plum gravy over meat.
- Add sprig of fresh rosemary to garnish.