Shirley's Perfect Rare Roast Beef
- Ready In:
- roast beef, tenderloin, tip, eye round, bottom round, rump, any you like (you can use any size roast, just adjust the baking time in the oven 5 mins. per lb.)
- 1 onion, cut into thin rings
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Wait for a few minutes before you put your roast in, so it gets as hot as possible.
- Put the roast in a shallow pan. (I use a cookie sheet).
- Cut onion into thin rings, and put all over the top and sides of the roast using toothpicks if necessary. I sit a few slices on the bottom of my roast too.
- Sprinkle roast generously with garlic powder, or to your liking. DO NOT SALT roast, or you will dry it out.
- Put roast in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then shut off oven, and let sit in the oven for 1 hour. DO NOT under any circumstances open the oven door! VERY IMPORTANT!
- After you turn off the oven and your roast has baked for l hour, take it out of the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes, to allow juices to distribute in the roast.
- I use my electric knife to cut my roast, and place on a serving dish.
- Don't forget to make the gravy!
Join The Conversation
I have been using a similar technique for years, however I go 7 minutes a pound. The author of my recipe says to let roast sit in an electric oven for 90 minutes, because they are better insulated? Gas ovens you should put on a “keep warm” setting if possible (mine goes as low as 170 f) or turn the gas oven on for a few minutes a few times to keep the interior warm. I strongly suggest a cheap digital thermometer to check done-ness.