1/1 Photo of Roast Beef Tenderloin With Red Wine & Shallot Sauce
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe from the December 2000 issue of Canadian Living was served in the posh dining cars of the Royal Canadian Pacific! It is definitely dinner party fare but also good enough for your family!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef tenderloin, premium oven roast
- 3 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Sprinkle beef with peppercorns & salt, pressing to adhere.
- 2Heat oil in roasting pan, over medium-high heat; sear beef all over.
- 3Roast in preheated 375F oven for about 55 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 140F (for medium-rare); transfer to cutting board, tent with foil & let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- 4Sauce: Heat 2 tbsp pf the butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook shallots, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until softened.
- 5Stir in sugar & cook for an additional 10 minutes or until shallots are golden & caramelized; stir in garlic & thyme and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 6Add stock, wine, brandy & bay leaf, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 2 cups.
- 7Whisk cornstarch with 1 tbsp water, then whisk into sauce and boil until smooth & thickened; discard bay leaf.
- 8Add roasting pan juices to sauce, bring to a boil, then whisk in remaining butter; serve with roast.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Beef Tenderloin With Red Wine & Shallot Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.3
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 208.0 mg
- Sodium 824.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 47.0 g