Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yummy. These make a great lunch or dinner. From Rachael Ray magazine. I think turkey would be good, also.
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread (thick slices) or 4 slices rye bread (thick slices)
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 (10 ounce) package coleslaw mix or 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 12 ounces sliced rare deli roast beef
- 8 ounces sliced deli swiss cheese
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the bread on the baking sheet and lightly toast one side in the oven, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- In the microwave or a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and horseradish.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the mixture on each toast slice.
- Toss the coleslaw mix and vinegar with the remaining mayo mixture in the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange 2 slices bacon on each toast slice. Layer the roast beef over the bacon and top each with a mound of slaw.
- Cover each toast with Swiss cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Great way to use up some leftover roast beef! :) I used low fat mayo to make it a little lighter along with turkey bacon and some homemade bread. Thanks, Lainey!
As the day drew to a close~we were wanting a dinner that was fast to eat, and use everything we had in the house. I followed this exactly~except I used some homemade farm bread I had made earlier in the day. I also used round steak, marinated, grilled, and sliced ever so thin in place of the deli roast beef but all the rest stayed the same. The only other small change was adding purple onion sliced thin to the coleslaw just because we had this around. The bacon was perfect, (I am sure you can use turkey bacon if you wanted) the fresh horseradish (which was growing outside and I grated it fresh) the cheese, yummy! Thanks once again, Lainey for an outstanding dinner for us!