1/3 Photos of Ridiculously Easy Chicago-Style Pizza Pie
Chicago-style pizza is great, but it can be a pain to make and way too expensive to buy from a restaurant... so I came up with this easy-to-make recipe. The best Chicago pizzas usually feature cornbread crusts, but the pie crusts make a surprisingly tasty substitute! I use this recipe by Dan-Amer #1 for the sausage (http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-bulk-italian-sausage-chicago-style-329000), but store-bought sausage should work just as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts, thawed
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced or crumbled
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Bake the pie crust according to your package's directions. I usually prick the bottom and sides of the crust all over with a fork and bake it for 10 minutes, or until it becomes slightly golden. Remove, and set aside.
- 3Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked and the onions are soft and translucent. Drain of any excess fat. (You can add salt & pepper at this point depending on how salty/spicy your sausage is- I usually don't).
- 4Sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan on the bottom of your pie crust. Top the cheese with the sausage mixture, and spread it out evenly. Next, spread the pizza sauce over the top, making sure the filling is completely covered. Finally, you can sprinkle the Italian seasoning and grated cheese on top, if you wish.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ridiculously Easy Chicago-Style Pizza Pie
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 769.6
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 2016.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 36.3 g