Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cucina Rustica; posted per request. Suggested to serve with simple raspberry puree.
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Place the ricotta in a cheesecloth or muslin-line strainer and set it over the sink; let drain overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°; butter a medium-size loaf pan and set aside.
- Prepare a water bath by half filling a rectangular baking tray with water; the loaf pan containing the pudding will be placed in it to bake evenly and gently.
- In a food processor, process the ricotta, egg yolk, sugar, extracts, and cinnamon until very smooth and light.
- Add in the lemon zest; transfer to a big bowl.
- Whip the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar until stiff; beat ¼ of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture, then with a rubber spatula gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Gently pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan; set pan into the water bath.
- Bake the pudding for approximately 35-40 minutes, or when a pick comes out dry; let cool before serving.