Prep 45 mins
Cook 33 mins
Bon Appetit September 1987
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate and stir until melted.
- Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Grease and flour bottom of 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat 2 eggs, 1 yolk and brown sugar in large bowl until slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted.
- Fold in chocolate mixture, then dry ingredients.
- Transfer 1/3 cup batter to small bowl; fold walnuts into remaining batter.
- Spread batter with nuts in prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Combine espresso powder and liqueur in small bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Blend cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in processor until very smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of work bowl.
- Blend espresso mixture, remaining egg and egg white.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over batter in pan.
- Transfer reserved batter to pastry bag fitted with 1/8-inch plain tip.
- Carefully pipe batter in lines down length of pan, spacing 3/4 inch apart.
- Starting 1 inch from one short end of pan, and at top long side, draw toothpick in straight line through dough lines, forming V pattern.
- Repeat process 1 inch from first line of V's, starting at bottom long side of pan. Repeat down full length of pan, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake until sides of brownies are puffed and center stays firm when pan is shaken, about 33 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Cover and refrigerate brownies until well chilled. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.) Using warm knife, cut into 2 1/2-by-3-inch bars.
- Serve well chilled.