Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This Chocolate cake from Aust. Women's Weekly Cookbook-Cakes and Slices-is posted in response to a request.
- 185 g butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 3⁄4 cups caster sugar (250mlcup)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 90 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30 g butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water, approximately
- Grease and line a deep 23cm round cake pan.
- Combine butter, essence, sugar, eggs, sifted flour, cocoa and water in a large bowl and beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined.
- Increase speed to medium, and beat for about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and changed in colour.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.
- Spread cold cake with icing.
- Chocolate Icing: Melt chocolate and butter in bowl over hot water, gradually stir in sifted icing sugar, then stir in enough hot water to mix to a spreadable consistency.
use this frosting for #2496 cake was in 2 (8x8) square pan. and this frosting was just enough to have a thin coating on top. I use around 1 1/2 T of water, i'm not sure of the right consistency of the frosting though. UPDATE: doubled the recipe and added 1/2 T corn syrup for added gloss, use around 3 1/2 T hot water, and it was just perfect to layer 2 (8x8) square pan
Very nice. Simple, not too large chocolate cake. We ate it up and it went down especially well with glasses of cold milk.