Recipe by Rita~
Very Rich! Tweaked from a Hersey's recipe! Make 2 pies or one and scoop the rest into bowls or use for a trifle.
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious and easy--a perfect combination for desert! I cheated a bit by using a frozen pie crust and regular milk chocolate chips which still resulted in a pie that had us fighting for the last piece and licking the pie dish clean. By the way instead of boiling the milk mixture in the microwave I used a saucepan and it came out fine. Thanks Rita for sharing this delicious desert which we will be having regularly.
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked and cooled
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups hershey's special dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (3 1/8 ounce) box instant banana pudding mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Place banana slices in bottom of cooled baked pie shell.
- Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2 quart Pyrex measuring cup.
- Combine egg yolks and milk add to dry ingredients.
- Cook in micro, whisking occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Microwave for 1 minute more.
- Remove from micro, whisk pie mixture smooth.
- Whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Add 2 cups chocolate chips, stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
- Pour into prepared pie shell over bananas.
- Meanwhile whip whipping cream and pudding for 1-2 minutes at medium speed.
- Spread on top of chocolate filling.
- Refrigerate covered several hours or overnight.