Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Much easier than making homemade biscuits.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in shortening using a pastry blender.
- In another mixing bowl, combine egg and milk; add to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- **Cheese-Caraway Muffins: add 1 cup shredded sharp processed cheese and 1 teaspoon caraway seed to flour mixture.
- **Bacon Muffins: Add 1/2 cup crumbled crisp bacon to dry ingredients.
Great flavor. I left out the egg and baked for 15 minutes and they came out great.
Very good and easier to make than biscuits. At the given cooking time, mine were quite brown and a little hard (it's probably my oven), so when I make these again, I think I will use a slightly lower temperature and a little less time as well. Going in the keeper file!