Rich Biscuit-Style Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in shortening using a pastry blender.
- In another mixing bowl, combine egg and milk; add to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- **Cheese-Caraway Muffins: add 1 cup shredded sharp processed cheese and 1 teaspoon caraway seed to flour mixture.
- **Bacon Muffins: Add 1/2 cup crumbled crisp bacon to dry ingredients.