Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Always present on the holiday tables in low country South Carolina where my husband grew up. I learned to make this from my mother-in-law. It's really tasty and a nice alternative to traditional dressing. And whenever we want homemade chicken salad, made with a while chicken we boil for the meat, we make this rice with the resulting broth and giblets. You can add pieces of cooked chicken, or not, as you like.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, either from boiling a whole chicken,or pieces,or canned
- 1 chicken giblets, from one stewing chicken,boiled and chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Bring broth to boil over medium heat in heavy saucepan.
- Add uncooked rice, lower heat and cover, leaving lid slightly vented for steam to escape.
- Cook rice thoroughly, about 25-30 minutes.
- Taste for doneness.
- If still hard, add more broth or water and continue to simmer.
- Add chopped giblets and chopped hard boiled eggs.
- Season to taste.