Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 mins
This recipe is from our friend Sima who is an amazing cook. The rice partially cooks with half the amount of liquid as you would expect -- then finishes in the pumpkin. This makes for a very festive presentation whether you scoop out the rice or slice right into the pumpkin to serve! Note: recipe is for a small pumpkin that would fit only about 2-3 cups of rice. For larger pumpkins, adjust the ingredients to the amount you feel will fit after rice and fruits are fully cooked.
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion
- oil, for sauteeing
- 1⁄2 cup prune, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (may be mixed with parsley)
- 3 tablespoons dried mint
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Wash pumpkin well. Cut a 'hat' or cover out of the top of the pumpkin. Clean the inside of the pumpkin of seeds and 'strings'.
- Cook rice in water and salt till water is absorbed and rice is still a little 'al dente'.
- In a separate pan, brown the onion in oil.
- Add chopped prunes, craisins, currants, and cilantro, parsley, and mint to onions and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and pomegranate paste.
- Add rice and mix.
- Stuff pumpkin with rice mixture.
- Place 'hat or cover on pumpkin. Cover tightly with foil. Place on oven proof tray.
- Cook in oven at 400 degrees F. for 3 hours. (May require longer for larger pumpkin.).
- To serve place on serving plate without foil or at least top half of foil removed. Either remove lid and scoop from the top or cut right into the pumpkin to serve the fruited rice and pumpkin.