1 hr 5 mins
A lighter version of rice pudding that my family enjoys. When I am craving my grandmother's rice pudding, but don't want the fat, I make this version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring water to a boil in a heavy 3 quart saucepan.
- 2Stir in raw rice and butter, cooking, uncovered, over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed and rice looks creamy.
- 3Stir in milk and a small pinch of salt.
- 4Bring to just a boil over medium high heat, stirring and watching your pot like a hawk so it doesn't burn or boil over -- the second it starts to bubble, remove from heat.
- 5Reduce temperature to low, and return pan to the heat to cook, covered, about 30-50 minutes, stirring occasionally (cook less for creamier, softer pudding, longer for firmer pudding).
- 6Stir in sugar to taste and vanilla.
- 7Pour into serving cups or bowl, dust with some cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg, and chill well.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pudding Light
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.7
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 146.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 6.5 g