Prep 10 mins
Cook 47 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, perfect for a 2-quart Pressure Frypan, from Kuhn Rikon's "Quick Cuisine". Put together your own mix of diced vegetables from mushrooms, carrots, squash and/or peas. Use your choice of nut from pecans, almonds or walnuts. Wild rice can be presoaked like a bean to shorten cooking time.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup medium grain brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth or 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup diced vegetables (mix of mushrooms, carrots, squash or peas)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup almonds or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- In a 2-quart Pressure Frypan or larger pressure cooker, heat butter over medium high heat.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add wild rice, water and salt, stirring over high heat.
- Close lid and bring pressure to first red ring (low pressure) over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at first red ring. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use Cold Water Release Method (or quick release method favored by your manufacturer).
- Add brown rice, broth, white wine and bay leaf. Stir to mix over high heat.
- Close lid and bring pressure to first red ring (low pressure) over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at first red ring. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use Natural Release Method.
- Stir in vegetables and a little liquid if the rice is too dry. Discard bay leaf.
- Replace cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Do not bring under pressure.
- Add nuts and parsley and gently toss.