Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Good Eats" episode "Pilaf to the People"
Make and share this Rice Pilaf - Alton Brown recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 slices orange zest, 1-inch wide by 3-inch long
- 1 pinch saffron, steeped in 1/4 c hot water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy, wide pan with a tight-fitting lid, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, red pepper and salt. Sweat until aromatic, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir to coat. Continue stirring until rice smells nutty.
- Add chicken broth, orange zest, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Stir once, then cover pan with damp dish towel or tea towel. Place lid on pan and fold corners of towel up over lid.
- Place pan in hot oven. Bake 15 min, then rest at room temperature 15-20 min without moving lid.
- Meanwhile, simmer peas in salted water, or microwave them, until heated through.
- Remove lid from pan, and turn rice out onto a platter. Stir in peas, and fluff with a large fork. Sprinkle with raisins and pistachios.