Enduring Gastronomy's Note:
Pan-fried patties with easy-to-make bean-and-salsa. Instant brown rice only take 10 minutes (included in cooking time). Suggested garnish: sour cream and scallions. To make fresh bread crumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich. Tear into pieces and process in food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice = 1/3 cup of crumbs. (Eating Well. April/May 2005)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (desired spiciness ( mild to hot)
- 1Cook rice, according to package directions, adding scallions, garlic, and thyme to the water.
- 2Meanwhile, cook beans and salsa in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Turn down heat to low to keep warm or set aside.
- 3Remove rice mixture from heat and stir in corn, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- 4Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- 5Add rice mixture and mash with potato masher until mixture holds together, about 1 minute. It will be fairly soft.
- 6Shape into 8 patties.
- 7Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8Carefully with a spatula, transfer 4 patties to the pan. Cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.
- 9Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 10Wipe out pan with a paper towel. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and repeat with remaining 4 patties.
- 11Remove beans from heat.
- 12To serve, divide beans among 4 plates and top with 2 patties each.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice & Corn Patties With Spicy Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.6
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 722.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs