1/3 Photos of Rice Chile Verde
This is a recipe given to my Mother by friends in the 70's? I was forbidden to share it but I like sharing and think everyone should have a chance to try it! It's ooey gooey cheesy yummy! It uses "mild" green chilies not hot ones. Everyone that tries it requests the recipe. It is very bad for you but worth having at least once a year for a potluck. I've had friends try to make it with lowfat or nonfat ingredients and it doesn't work. I also have tried mixing all the ingredients together and it doesn't taste as good, the layers matter (even though they melt together)! I usually double or triple it and bake it in a removable crock from my crockpot then put it on low in the crockpot for potlucks. If you do this the layers are still the same but double or triple the amount in each layer. I usually assemble it the night before and put it in the oven right before the event. For extra gooeyness add extra jack cheese in the layers to completely coat them. Remember for a single recipe: you are using 3 cups of "cooked" white rice which is made from 1 cup of dry rice. One cup of cooked rice per layer (3 layers). Enjoy! Very yummy with my Chicken Chile Verde Enchiladas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook 1 cup dry rice which makes 3 cups cooked rice.
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Combine sour cream, chiles and salt in a bowl.
- 4Layer ingredients in a loaf pan. Or if doubling or tripling the recipe for a crowd layer in a removable crock from a crock pot that can be baked in the oven.
- 5Layer as follows: a third of the rice, half of the sour cream mixture, half of the cheeses, a third of the rice, remaining half of the sour cream mixture, remaining half of the cheeses, remaining third of the rice, sprinkle top with extra jack cheese.
- 6Loaf pan bakes at 350 for 25 min until bubbly.
- 7Crock bakes approx 60-90 min until bubbly then can be in crockpot on low or warm for hours.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Chile Verde
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.2
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 324.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g