Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great comfort food. Mild flavors and it's simple to make. This is also a very versatile dish. Serve with a salad and warm bread.
- 2 cups brown rice (or 1 cup brown with 1 cup white)
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 2 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 small onions, minced or 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans, with liquid (kidney, pinto, your choice)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, diced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups spinach (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh herb, like parsley, oregano, peppercorns, etc (optional)
- Wash rice; drain water.
- Combine all ingredients in rice cooker; steam.
- Toss rice before serving.