Recipe by Rita~
This thick, hearty soup is started with the trilogy of onions, celery, and carrots are sautéed before adding the liquid as to bring out there sweetness. Made with a nice meaty ham bone for lots of flavor. A chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for a nice spiciness.
Top Review by Outta Here
Rita has done it again! This was so flavorful and hearty! I love the just right heat from the chipotle. I didn't change a thing (and won't next time either!) Thanks for a real keeper!
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 smoked meaty ham bone
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1 cup french green lentil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot heat oil.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic sauté till slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in spices and bay leaf.
- Add water, scraping the brown goodness from the bottom of the pot.
- Add ham bone, tomatoes and chipotle; bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add lentils; cook for 15 minutes and then add rice. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- You can thin if you like with liquid either chicken stock of water. Water would be just fine because there is plenty of flavor.