1/6 Photos of Rice and Lentil Soup or Stew
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
This thick, hearty soup is started with the trilogy of onions, celery, and carrots are sautéed before adding the liquid as to bring out there sweetness. Made with a nice meaty ham bone for lots of flavor. A chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for a nice spiciness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 smoked meaty ham bone
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 cup french green lentil
- 1In a large heavy pot heat oil.
- 2Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic sauté till slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Mix in spices and bay leaf.
- 4Add water, scraping the brown goodness from the bottom of the pot.
- 5Add ham bone, tomatoes and chipotle; bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
- 6Add lentils; cook for 15 minutes and then add rice. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- 7You can thin if you like with liquid either chicken stock of water. Water would be just fine because there is plenty of flavor.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice and Lentil Soup or Stew
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.0
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 192.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo