Cook1 hr 40 mins
This thick, hearty soup is started with the trilogy of onions, celery, and carrots are sautéed before adding the liquid as to bring out there sweetness. Made with a nice meaty ham bone for lots of flavor. A chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for a nice spiciness.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 smoked meaty ham bone
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1 cup french green lentil
- In a large heavy pot heat oil.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic sauté till slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in spices and bay leaf.
- Add water, scraping the brown goodness from the bottom of the pot.
- Add ham bone, tomatoes and chipotle; bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add lentils; cook for 15 minutes and then add rice. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- You can thin if you like with liquid either chicken stock of water. Water would be just fine because there is plenty of flavor.