Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are wonderfully moist. The struesel adds a nice sweetness. I freeze rhubarb in 1 1/2 cup bags while it is in season, so I can make these year round.
- Mix brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to dry ingredients along with buttermilk.
- Add rhubarb and chopped pecans.
- Pour into muffin cups.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and butter and sprinkle mixture over top of unbaked muffins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Awesome muffins. I made them today with some rhubarb I picked at my in-laws. It was the first time my kids have ever had it, never felt it was worth the price stores and farmer's markets were asking for it.
I used a little extra brown sugar and skipped the streusel topping. I added about a tsp of pumpkin pie spice and this seemed to be a nice touch to the moist muffins. I also let the cut rhubarb sit in a couple of tablespoons of sugar before mixing it in the batter and I think this drew out the juices nicely.
I love this recipe. It was exactly what I had in mind when I was looking. They were very moist and were too sweet. Just right. Thanks Martha!