Banana Pineapple Streusel Muffins
photo by Debi9400
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- STREUSEL TOPPING: Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs; set aside.
- BATTER: Combine flour, salt, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon; stir in pecans.
- Combine eggs,vegetable oil, mashed bananas, drained crushed pineapple and vanilla extract in separate bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not over stir.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins a little more than half full.
- Sprinkle tops with streusel mixture.
- Bake about 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on wire racks.
- Batter can be used to make 2 medium-sized loaves.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
oh yum! I left this recipe out for my husband and son to make with some very black bananas! The directions were clear enough for him to follow and the end result was delicious. Great flavour and the topping made these extra special. The kids had some for breakfast the next day and the rest I popped into the frezer for another day. DH was able to get 24 muffins and 1 small loaf. Thanks for sharing :)
These muffins are my husband's favorite. He doesn't like nuts, so I add raisins instead. I also add unsweetened dried shredded coconut to the streusel topping to enhance the tropical flavor. I've also experimented with using part whole wheat flour and subsituting part of the fats with ground flax for healthiness. It seems there's nothing you can do to mess up this delicious muffin.
These were great! Moist, tender and delicious! I used butter instead of the oil and mine did not get the lovely high crown on them, but they tasted fantastic. And my streusel topping kind of melted into the muffin for some reason, so the pictures are not too pretty. Next time I may try these as loaves and see if they come out any prettier :)
Bread ingredients are exactly the same as bread <a href="/36336">Banana Nut Pineapple Bread</a>. However I enjoyed making these as muffins and adding the streusel. They are wonderful! It made 24 muffins plus a small loaf of bread. I substituted 1 of the cups of flour for whole wheat & one of the cups of sugar for Splenda baking blend (probably could have used both with Splenda as the muffins turned out very sweet, light & moist). I used brown sugar in the streusel. I love cinnamon so I increased it to 1 tsp. in the streusel & 2 tsp. in the bread. I left out the nuts as my hubby doesn't like them in baked goods. I am so impressed with these! They're very good all by themselves or excellent fresh out of the oven or reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds with whipped cream. Yum! This recipe is a keeper. Thank you!