Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rhubarb, sugar, raspberry gelatin, and canned raspberry pie filling; make up this wonderful tasting jam.
- In a large bowl, add the rhubarb and sugar; stir to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, place the rhubarb mixture in a large kettle.
- Cook over medium heat; stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to boil, then lower the heat just a bit, and cook for 12 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Remove the kettle from the heat, and add the gelatin powder, and keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the can of pie filling, and stir thoroughly until mixed through.
- Return the kettle to the stove. Start to cook over medium heat; stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove the kettle from the heat, and carefully ladle the jam into the sterilized glass jars.
- Cover the jars with the lids, then cool the jam to room temperature, before storing the jam in the refrigerator or freezer.
I've made this a few times now and it is GREAT! I just finished making 2 batches to give to all the neighbors as Christmas gifts this year. I've used frozen rhubarb and it turns out great! Also, I skip the whole first step about refigerating it overnight, becaus once you thaw the frozen rhubarb, it is already soft. Wonderful flavor! One batch makes me 8 8oz. jars!
This turned out wonderful and I'm not sure why - on my part. I used sugar free jello and Equal in place for sugar - trying to cut down on sugar. I just read that Aspartame breaks down when heated. It sat in the refrigerator for 2 days as the 1st day I didn't have enough rhubard. It has a rich red color and spreads like any jam. Other jello jams I've made clump together. I'll try it again with other flavors - maybe strawberry. Thanks for sharing. — May 27, 2005 updated July 12 I did this with sugar free strawberry and it is just as wonderful.
Not knowing what to do with an abundance of rhubarb this year I found this recipe and thought it sounded good....Boy was I wrong ...it wasn't just good, it's delicious.I will be adding it to my yearly jam making event.If you love rhubarb and raspberries this is the recipe to try!!!! I only other thing I did was as I was cooking the rhubarb down I mashed it with my potato masher to insure I didn't have any large chunks of rhubarb.This is easy and delish!!!! Thx for sharing!