Recipe by grandma2969
found this recipe in a bon appetit...you will need about 2 1/2 lbs of rhubarb and pastry for a two crust pie..
- 10 cups rhubarb, cut 1-inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rhubarb and 2/3 cup sugar, orange juice, orange peel, and cardamon in large deep skillet.
- Toss over medium high heat until liquid starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- cover and simmer until rhubarb is almost tender, stirring very gently occasionally to keep rhubarb instact,.about 8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer rhubarb to colander set over bowl.
- Drain well.
- Add syrup from bowl to skillet.
- Boil until juices in skillet are thick and reduced to 2/3 cup.adding any additional drained syrup from bowl.about 7 minutes.
- Mix in preserves.cool mixture in skillet 15 minutes.
- Very gently fold in rhubarb .do not over mix or rhubarb will fall apart.
- Spoon pie filling into crust.dot top of filling with thin slices of butter.
- Arrange 5 pie dough strips atop filling, spacing evenly apart --
- arrange 5 strips atop filling in opposite direction.forming lattice.seal ends to crust edge.
- Stir cream and 2 tsps sugar in bowl and brush over lattice.but not crust edge.
- Bake pie until filling bubbles thickly and crust is golden.covering edges with foil if browning too quickly -- about 55 minutes.
- Cool pie completely --
- Cut into wedges and serve with ice cream.