Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 loaf day-old crusty bread
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 lb tuna steak
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- peppercorn (a few)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 8 -10 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Place bread in a toaster oven on medium heat to dry and toast, 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt, then pasta; cook to al dente; drain.
- Place tuna in a small skillet; add in wine and just enough water to cover fish.
- Add bay leaf and peppercorns; bring liquids to a boil; decrease heat to simmer and cover skillet.
- Poach fish 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large deep skillet over medium heat; add in olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add in shallots and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper; sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in thyme and flour; cook 1 minute, stirring with a whisk; whisk in chicken broth, then cream.
- Adjust seasonings; add in peas.
- Remove cooked, poached tuna to a bowl; flake fish with a fork.
- Add cooked noodles and tuna to the sauce; remove sauce from heat and transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
- Use the biggest holes on a box grater to grate the bread into large crumbs.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small cup in the microwave and pour melted butter over breadcrumbs.