Recipe by puppitypup
This is a simple flavorful rice that I came up with to as a compromise for my picky eater daughter. It closely resembles the rice served at the local Mexican restaurants in San Diego.
Top Review by Menta
This is a very good rice recipe. I followed the recipe exactly. The only difference I made was that I sauteed the onions with 2 teaspoons of oil instead of using butter since I didn't have it available.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (less if regular salt)
- 1⁄4 cup mild canned enchilada sauce (not salsa)
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated carrot
- 1 -2 green onion, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Add rice and saute a few more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Stir, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for twenty minutes without removing lid.
- Fluff with a fork and serve with chopped green onions on top.
- Note: The mild enchilada sauce adds flavor without adding spiciness. If using hot enchilada sauce, I would cut the amount in half at least.