Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for Reser's classic macaroni salad.
- 1 lb uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery heart
- 1⁄3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons reconstituted onions
- 3 cups extra thick real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons iodized salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- RECONSTITUTE 4 teaspoons minced onion flakes in enough very hot water to cover and saturate completely.
- PREP remaining vegetables to specifications.
- COOK large elbow macaroni according to package directions in moderately salted water, less 2 minutes until al dente (firm to the bite); DRAIN in a large colander placed in sink; RINSE with cold water and allow to drain again.
- INTO a large bowl with an (accompanying cover or lid), add the dressing ingredients EXCEPT for the sweet pickle juice and white vinegar). Note: drain excess water from onions before adding).
- WHISK mixture well then gently fold in vegetables until just blended.
- GENTLY fold in drained macaroni until well-blended.
- COMBINE the sweet pickle juice with vinegar then sprinkle over salad.
- FOLD mixture gently until creamy, without over-mixing.
- COVER and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- SERVE and enjoy.