Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
While in Spain, I had the hankering for Mexican food, so Lyn McKittrick sent me this simple and delicious recipe for refried beans. I would make 3-5 pounds at a time to serve up to my fellow missionaries.
- Soak pinto beans in 6 cups of water overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Replace 6 cups of water, add chopped onion.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 3 hours, stirring a few times.
- When done, mash beans with potato masher or hand blender.
- Add lard (or bacon fat).
- Salt to taste.
- Continue cooking until thick and grease is absorbed.
A bit more varied in texture and distinctive in flavor compared to canned refried beans. Needed salt. Worth doing once just to see the process! We used bacon grease instead of lard and topped them with shredded cheddar cheese.