Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
You may use regular, lowfat, or vegetarian refried beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°; in a large skillet, heat the oil; cook the onion and bell peppers over medium heat for 4 minutes or until the vegetables are just softened.
- Add in the garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, and cumin; stir in beans, rice, cilantro, and eggs.
- Spoon mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan; bake 30 minutes, then sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Continue to bake 25-30 minutes more, until the loaf is firm and the cheese is bubbly.
- Let the loaf stand in the pan for at least 10 minutes before slicing to serve.