Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A wonderfully refreshing bean salad, great served alongside BBQ meats. Every now and again I'll add in a chopped tomato or two.
- 3 (400 g) cans cannellini or 3 (400 g) cans butter beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Drain the beans and rinse under cold water, drain well.
- Into a food processor or blender, put the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, basil leaves, parsley leaves, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Pulse for a few seconds so that there is still texture. Put the beans into a bowl and pour over the dressing, toss well.
- If possible leave for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before serving -- but can be eaten right away and still be very flavoursome.
Been doing this for years since a memorable trip to Italy where they add tuna packed in olive oil and omit the parsley and sometimes add diced tomato. I cook my own beans (try those from Rancho Gordo in Napa Valley, which you can buy online) and it's even better.
Refreshing is the perfect description for this salad. I loved the flavors of the dressing. I did decrease the cumin a bit as I'm not wild about it, but can't imagine this salad without it as it was a great addition.
A lovely bean salad...the dressing is "wonderfully refreshing" as Stardustannie suggested. I loved the way the tang of the lemon played off of the buttery beans!! I halved this for a quick lunch treat for 2 and happily got rid of some winter stock canned beans by sending them off with fresh summer basil and parsley...this is similar to other "light pesto-y" dressings I've made but the cumin adds a neat new twist and a wonderful new layer of flavor. I will make the dish again as well as include the dressing as a new way to style other dishes!! Made for Zarr ZWT on a day when easy was a perfect option...I LOVE to "cook" with a food processor!!! THANKS for sharing this!!!